A new luxury train service in Australia launched this week, with the inaugural season set to begin in just over a year, on December 6, 2019. It's set to become Australia's third iconic rail journey, along with The Ghan and The Indian Pacific.
The train will take passengers through Australia’s south-eastern corner, winding through the interior to link the cities of Adelaide and Brisbane.
• This incredible new rail adventure is called Great Southern.
• It will be operated by Great Southern Rail, the company that runs The Ghan and The Indian Pacific. The latter travels from Sydney to Perth, while The Ghan connects Adelaide and Darwin through Australia’s Red Centre, and is considered one of the world’s greatest train journeys.
• Passengers on Great Southern will have the option of a two-night, three-day journey from Adelaide to Brisbane, or a three-night, four-day trip from Brisbane to Adelaide.
• The northbound journey (Adelaide to Brisbane) includes a number of stops, with guided tours at the spectacular Grampians National Park in Victoria, Canberra and beautiful beaches on the northern New South Wales coast, near Coffs Harbour.
• Covering a totally different region of the country, the return southbound journey (Brisbane to Adelaide) features beachside dining in northern New South Wales, a tour of the Hunter Valley and a stop at the magnificent Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.
• Great Southern will feature 28 carriages and two locomotives, and accommodate up to 214 guests on each journey.
• The sleeper trains will include single and twin cabins, as well as 'more exclusive' platinum cabins.
• Just like all hospitality on The Ghan and The Indian Pacific, exceptional wining and dining will keep gourmands happy.
• Sixteen departures will take place in the inaugural season, between 6 December 2019 and 27 January 2020.
• All fares include onboard dining, beverages and excursions off the train.
If you're keen to be one of the first people in the world to make this extraordinary journey, check out the special prices if you book in advance, or call the Travel at 60 team on 1300 414 198.