If you’re looking for inspiration for a loved-up getaway, this is the list for you.
The top 20 most romantic places on earth have just been named, and while you could probably predict the top three places on the list – Paris, Santorini and Venice – there are a few destinations that could come as a surprise.
The study was commissioned by romantic novel publisher, Mills & Boon (insert Fabio joke here). They asked a leading panel of travel experts to help compile an initial list of locations that would be best for romance. According to The Scottish Sun, this list then went to a national poll, with voters narrowing it down to the Top 20.
The French capital took out top honours, with the following gorgeous locations rounding out the rest of the top 20:
As well as the 20 most romantic locations worldwide, people voting in the poll also chose the top 20 places in the UK. The list reads like the ultimate travel guide:
1. Fairy Pools, Glenbrittle, Isle of Skye
2. Grasmere, Lake District, England
3. City of Bath
4. Durdle Door, Dorset
5. Tresco, Isles of Scilly
6. Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales
7. Bourton-on-the-Water, Cotswolds
8. Porthcurno, The Minack Theatre, Cornwall
9. Cambridge and the River Cam
10. Giant’s Causeway, N. Ireland
11. Windsor Castle, Windsor
12. Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon, Wales
13. The Dark Hedges, Northern Ireland
14. Leeds Castle, Kent
15. Llyn Padarn (Llanberis), Wales
16. Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
17. The Falls of Bruar, Perth
18. Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland
19. St Nectan’s Glen, Cornwall
20. City of Oxford
“When it comes to a summer getaway with a loved one, we all want to make it as romantic as possible,” said Lisa Milton, Mills & Boon executive publisher.
“Our survey has identified the definitive romantic places in Britain and the world. With all of us looking for any opportunity to bring a little extra romance into our hectic lives, holidays in these places offer the perfect chance to switch off and rediscover romance.”